- Would a collaborative team/band be able to apply for one composition and still fulfill your grant requirements?
It needs to be one person per application. Partners are welcome to apply with their own application, but we will consider you independently, not as a group. We are keeping a very limited cohort size (3 artists only) for this time to ensure inclusivity and efficient communication.
- Is there any advantage to submitting the application earlier rather than later, during the application window?
There’s no advantage to applying early. All applications will be considered without regard to their submission date. Applications are being accepted from June 1st through July 16, 2021.
- I am not in the Bay Area right now. However, I will be in San Francisco in the Fall this year. Can I apply?
As long as you will be living in the Bay Area for the duration of the residency program (excluding the holiday break), that is totally fine.
- How do people typically interface with the Audium system? Is it a digital console with its own spatialization software? And if not, what program do people typically use to control panning/sound placement on their own computers?
The performer at Audium typically has composed a 4-12 track composition that is played back on a desktop through QLab theatrical software, routed to a 32-channel MOTU D/A interface, and amplified by compact rack mount solid-state amplifiers. Control of sounds before the performance is controlled by digital cues, remotely controlled from an iPAD, while control of sounds during the performance inside the space is controlled in real-time (only) on a large one-of-a-kind speaker-level mixing desk built into the listening space. Several dozen knobs and switches allow live control of the amplified audio as it is sent to >100 speakers in the space while the audience listens in complete darkness. We are in the process of upgrading this control board to accommodate new digital controllers in order to reduce the time to experiment and learn for new artists. We are standardizing on AVB MOTU products and MAX/MSP in order to facilitate sound movement by any artists with any DAW and any controller. Spatialization options will soon be only limited by imagination and algorithm development time / expertise.
- How about the interface with the lobby projections?
The six projectors in the lobby are limited at the moment to DVD playback and are orchestrated by remote controls. Audium is actively upgrading controls to a networked raspberry pi per projector to allow for network-based open show control (OSC) messages and other active graphics programs to facilitate the use of projectors for more reactive and interactive lobby lighting.
- What is the total running time for the finished Audium piece that will be created in residency?
The run time is flexible. We envision each artist creating a 15-20 minute piece during the program. But if there is one piece that is much longer or shorter, we can most likely work with it. The performance night will be shared amongst the 3 residency artists, so it will be up to them to sort out how the flow of the evening will go.
Other questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Residency spots are limited, but we are also actively seeking future collaborators. All applying artists will be considered for future programming.